Wesentliche Teile des Forums stehen nur registrierten und angemeldeten Mitgliedern zur Verfügung.
Du bist herzlich eingeladen, dich bei uns zu registrieren! Weitere Informationen findest du hier.

[Schutz] SPES Trinity Überziehhaube für die Fechtmaske

Armoury and Staffroom - Dieses Forum dient zum Informationsaustausch über Übungsgeräte, Simulatoren und Literatur. In einem Unterforum kannst du den Flohmarkt besuchen. Im Lehrerzimmer werden Unterrichtsmethoden diskutiert.

[Schutz] SPES Trinity Überziehhaube für die Fechtmaske

Beitragvon jpk » Mittwoch 7. August 2013, 22:58

Ich habe ein weiteres Produkt getestet. Hier mein Kommentar in Englisch.
http://histfenc.com/productcart/integra ... on-trinity

The SPES HEMA Mask Overlay with Back of the Head Protection is a more or less irritating product for me. First the one and only good thing: the occipital protection is quite good against strikes.

Now to the rest of the product, the bad and the not so good things. I compare the product to the Allstar HEMA Head protection while I try to ignore the fact, that I got the “cheaper” version having cloth as a fabric and not leather. You should know that the “cheaper” SPES Overlay comes more expensive for 80 Euro while the Allstar leather based version comes for nearly the same price. It would be better to compare the SPES Leather fencing mask occipital overlay with the Allstar product because they are more similar and here is the SPES product 10 Euro cheaper. This SPES leather overlay lacks in some points too.

The SPES Mask Overlay has some extras missing in the Allstar (and the similar SPES product). This is an extra larynx protection cap integrated in the neck and shoulder protection (red circle in the image). While the Allstar production has no shoulder and neck protection in the overlay at all. At the first glance this is a draw back for the other overlays. When the goal is that no bare skin may be exposed to the blade, a hood covering the neck in front and at the side seems to be a good idea. But the frontal neck is already protected by a part of the mask withstanding at least 350N or as recommended 1600N. The larynx should be protected by a fencing jacket collar and an extra neck protection close to the skin. In my opinion a third or fourth layer of protection to the neck adds only a heat problem. The hood design does not protect from thrusts from below or slipping up from the breast. The hood design gives extra protection from thrusts coming from the side. The normal overlay shows some skin here that may be covered by the extra neck protection product but there is a small chance that a thrust may enter here and scratch the back of the head. In 99.99% of the cases (my estimation) injuries will do no great harm here if a neck protection is in place but worst case scenarios do happen. Strikes will probably not enter here in a way that they do much harm. The reason is the mask design and the overlay design of the occipital protection. The lateral protection of the hood design may lessen the impact more, but again this part of the body should already be protected by an extra neck protection and the collar of the jacket.

The SPES overlay advertises with additional shoulder and neck protection by the hood design. But checking out the protection gear used by BotN style full heavy contact sword fighting sports, this is nearly useless regarding the collarbone (clavicle) and surrounding muscles. Using a neck protection in a gorget style is much more useful (like the PBT Gorget Protector or the Absolute Force HEMA Deluxe Neck Protector). Such a protection is needed because of the lack in collarbone protection for some of the SPES jackets.
The occipital protection offers good protection to strikes and some thrusts. Comparing to the Allstar product the sides are not closed by a folded piece of cloth, but are open so that a thrust may enter between the protection and the edge of the mask. This is most unlikely to happen in a normal duel like situation but in brawl games this is not all too unlikely. But an injury by such a entering thrust will probably (and hopefully) present not much harm.
In my case the occipital protection was badly sewn on the overlay. It ripped of a third way while I was mounting it on my old mask using some but not inordinate force. That is quite OK with me, because I will remove that part of the product and mount it to a very old mask overlay (from times before there was a HEMA product at all). But to most of the customers this would be annoying.

The hood fit well on the standard mask according to the correct head size. If the mask is bend or does not have the exact size it will not fit. There is no tolerance.

The protection from strikes to the head in the overlay part does nearly not exist. Because fencing masks offer only very little protection against the impact itself - they flex and get bent - the head has to take most much of the impact force. An overlay should offer some good absorption of the impact. The “comfort” protection offered by this product is not good at all. Compared to the Allstar leather product it does seemingly not exist. An fencing mask overlay should do some more here, not only to protect the wearer but the mask too, such that the mesh is not bent too often in technical training.

Over all I do not recommend this product. The plastic cap as a larynx protection and the collarbone protection should not be part of a hood but of a gorget type neck protection. The latter offers better protection and more movability to the fencer. A hood with an additional gorget would make it (like used in some of the BotN equipment kits) but the current design is not satisfying. I think that a redesign is necessary in a direction of a gorget style hood to make it distinct from the other mask overlays. And it needs more “comfort” protection in the overlay itself.
Dateianhänge
963799_389963647771682_1689671170_o.jpg
jpk
Administrator

Re: [Schutz] SPES Trinity Überziehhaube für die Fechtmaske

Beitragvon Richard Cole » Montag 26. August 2013, 08:41

Sieht nicht schlecht aus - aber eine richtige Pellerine bringt am Hals wohl mehr.

Fechtergruß
„Es gibt stets zwei Endpunkte, zwei Gegensätze. Die Kampfkunst ist die Fertigkeit, welche in ihre Mitte fällt.“
Richard Cole
Schreiber

Beitragvon HJZ » Freitag 30. August 2013, 08:25

Richard Cole hat geschrieben:Sieht nicht schlecht aus - aber eine richtige Pellerine bringt am Hals wohl mehr.

Fechtergruß

Ind da jetzt noch LAMEX drüber gearbeitet und damit ist das doch so gut wie perfekt ;)
Das Leben ist ein Spiel mit 100%tig tödlichem Ausgang.
HJZ
Schreiber

Beitragvon Richard Cole » Samstag 31. August 2013, 10:37

Lamex auf einer Pellerine wäre das Optimum, denke ich.

Dazu noch einen Schutz aus Lamex am Maskensaum über den Hals - Als doppelte Versicherung.

Fechtergruß
„Es gibt stets zwei Endpunkte, zwei Gegensätze. Die Kampfkunst ist die Fertigkeit, welche in ihre Mitte fällt.“
Richard Cole
Schreiber

Zurück zu Zeughaus und Lehrerzimmer